Welcome to the beggar website! Beggar is a rogue-like game written in java with XML inputs for expandability. I do hope you enjoy the game as the community and hopefully the additions grow! I encourage you to post any comments or thoughts on the sourceforge forums. God willing, I hope to remain an active developer for a while and look forward to input from those that matter... the end-users.
I'm reworking the way items are stored, parsed, and used. Hopefully that will mean a more robust world. The latest version has a quickly maturing slime game.
Updating the changelog here and on sourceforge is a bit much, so until I have time to rework this site, (I'd rather work on the game itself) read the news.
Release v. 0.4.8
- Wrote the xml file that I'm trying to parse
- Added some more fun stuff to the slime code
- Redid a few of the stat handling equations(needs work)
Release v. 0.4.7
- Added Help Menus
- Cleaned and optimized code
- Added death screen (needs work)
- Now you can restart if you die
- Added fog of War
- Added descriptions for what you see
- The maps are now randomly generated
- There is now a grass tileset
- Slime no longer "breaths its last"
- Other minor bug fixes
Release v. 0.4.5
- Added menu to start the game as well as an options screen
- Implemented an config.ini file which holds the options
- Options can be changed through an options menu
- Other minor fixes and GUI improvements
Release v. 0.4.2
- fixed viewport equations to make other resolutions possible.
- added various stats to the main player
- The messages now scroll and change color
- wrote a roadmap. I'll put it up seperately later
Welcome to Beggar v. 0.4.0
- A very basic engine w/ tile support
This is very likely to change, but it's the plan at this point. Believe it or not I do have the history from version 0.1.0 on a scrap piece of paper somewhere. So I'm making progress! ;-) However it might be useful to note that the amount of time required increases exponentially per development phase. It's like the Richter Scale for earthquakes! I may just make a crawl variant much sooner, so that the game is more interesting to play while we wait for the grandeur of version 1.0 ~ Perhaps version 0.5.0 or so...
- Optimize and clean code (0.4.6)
- Remove certain globals and add help menus (0.4.8)
- Create more sophisticated stat handling equations (0.4.9)
- Allow monster/map xml inputs (0.5.0)
- Create more robust tiles (0.5.5)
- Create an effects class for area effects (0.6.0)
- Clean again (0.6.x)
- Expand basic game elements, items, sprites, etc (0.6.5)
- Expand xml support (0.7.x)
- Outline game in xml (0.7.x)
- Add any missing interactions (0.8.0)
- Debug (0.8.5)
- Balance (0.9.x)